Guide to NHS Exemptions

Please note we are not accepting new patients-either NHS or Private-at the moment.

Free NHS dental care in Stirling

If you or your spouse (including civil partner) meet certain criteria, you may be exempt from paying for NHS dental care. Whether you qualify for free treatments can depend on your age, income and whether you receive any benefits. If you are entitled to help with health bills, you will be asked by your NHS dentist to show written proof at the time of treatment.

What are the different options?

Depending on your circumstances, you could be exempt from paying NHS dental charges. You don’t have to pay for your NHS dental care if you are:

  • Under the age of 18
  • A student in full-time education up to the age of 19
  • A pregnant woman or nursing mother, up to the child’s first birthday
  • In possession of an HC2 certificate
  • Receiving income support, income-based jobseeker’s allowance, income-related employment and support allowance or pension credit guarantee credit
  • Universal Credit
Dentist checking patients mouth

NHS Low Income scheme

If you do not qualify for Income Support but are still struggling to pay your health bills, you can also apply to the NHS Low Income Scheme and see if you qualify for an HC3 certificate. This certificate offers help to those with a limited income, so they can afford the treatment they need from their NHS dentist.

Find out the common fees payable for NHS dental treatments at Riverside Dental Practice here.

Get in touch for more information

Not sure if you are exempt from paying NHS dental charges? Just email Riverside Dental Practice at or give our friendly Stirling team a call on 01786 464 285. We’d be happy to offer advice.